Things to do When Your Rental Car Breaks Down
Renting a car from the numerous rental portals available has some risks to it, especially if you’ve chosen the option of driving the car yourself. A number of things can go wrong here and what make it worse are the teeny tiny details within the rental agreement that will have your head spinning. The first thing to remember is to read the terms and conditions carefully, and clarify any doubts you might have about the contract with the rental authorities. Always keep in mind that these companies make a profit on your ignorance of agreements and you can lose a lot if you aren’t aware of these things. So below is a list of pre-requisites, you’ll have to pay attention to before you rent the car.
- When you’ve finished choosing and reserving your car with the rental portal, it is your primary task to begin reviewing their rental agreement. This is crucial as it can save you a lot of confusion and money later. Check the clauses relating to windshields, wipers, mirrors, windows, fuel meters, tires and roofs.
- Clarify any information you need regarding situations of collision and how to handle the resulting damage especially if you are hiring a big car like limo for wedding. Choose the company wisely before you go for limo hire Melbourne if you are situated close to Melbourne.
- Make sure you have understood your insurance policy thoroughly before you rent a car. Check what coverage you will have from the insurance companies in case of damages.
- Ask if any roadside vehicle maintenance shops are available, if you encounter any problems with the engine or any other part of the car.
- A useful pre-requisite is you MUST know how to change a flat tire with the kit provided to you. Do not drive alone if you don’t know how to do this.
- And finally the simplest thing to do is ask the rental authorities what to do in case of a breakdown.
Handling a Breakdown
- In case of a partial breakdown. your vehicle can still be driven
Most contracts will insist you contact the company if you encounter a breakdown. Under no circumstances should you breach this contract as the repercussions of it can cost you a lot, and can cause a lot of trouble later. You might be asked to drive the car to the nearest hub or station. Most rental companies will provide another car to you.
- In case of a major breakdown i.e. your vehicle can not be driven at all
Your first step is to get to a safe place. But do NOT attempt to drive the car there. Inform the rental company about the situation. In case they are too far to help, ask for proper authorization to have the car towed or repaired. Note down all details of authorization and repair.
The most important tip is to make sure you have all receipts of repair with you. Also keep the rental company updated on each situation. It can save you a lot of trouble later.